Following on from Say hello to WooCommerce!, Carbis and I are going to go over each Why pick WooCommerce? point in detail.
Strength and Flexibility
Built upon core WordPress functionality for stability, with enough hooks and filters to satisfy the most avid theme developer.
Michael: Being built on the back of Jigoshop it’s fair that WooCommerce will stand up to its claim on stability but Jigoshop’s current weak point has been the distinct lack of hooks and filters for theme developers.
That said, being leaders in the WordPress theme community I wouldn’t be surprised if Woo Labs team have worked on Jigshop’s shortcoming in order to satisfy the most avid theme developer; themselves.
Your business is unique. Your online store should be too. Choose one of our themes or build your own and give it a personal touch using the built-in shortcodes and widgets.
Luke: In terms of themes, it’s been anticipated that WooCommerce themes will get to us on three fronts:
- Default WooCommerce themes– WooCommerce will come with at least 1 default theme built in, which will look something like the sample above.
- Existing WooThemes upgrades – most likely the newest WooThemes will receive a free upgrade to support WooCommerce natively
- New WooThemes – including WooThemes targeted towards e-commerce
In terms of launch, we can expect at least three themes, and three extensions, which we’ll cover in more depth soon!
Smart Dashboard Widgets
Keep birds-eye view of incoming sales and reviews, stock levels and general store performance and statistics all from the WordPress dashboard.
Give that WooCommerce is based heavily on Jigoshop, this feature should at the very least include the same dashboard widgets as it’s brother. It’s worth mentioning that this section indicates WordPress Dashboard integration – which is different from Jigoshop, who uses their own dashboard.
The widgets we can expect are:
- Right Now – this details your current products, categories, tags, etc. as well as pending, on-hold, processing and completed orders
- Recent Orders
- Stock Report – this notifies you of low stock and out of stock products
- Monthly Sales – a line graph of your sales for each day of the month
- Recent Product Reviews
- Latest News
- Useful Links
Seriously, WooCommerce has got more features than you can shake a stick at. But, don’t just take our word for it, try it for yourself.
Michael: The demonstration site understandably isn’t up yet so we’ll have to wait and see what WooCommerce can do as it leaves the gates come September 27.
Jump back to the opening blog post: Say hello to WooCommerce.